Defense Human Resources Activity IT Specialist (APPSW) in Seaside, California
This position is part of the Defense Human Resources Activity, Defense Manpower Data Center. The incumbent will be responsible for applying DMDC Information technology (IT) software principle and methods sufficient to participate in the design, development, testing and implementation of new or modified application software.
Learn more about this agency
As a IT Specialist (APPSW) at the GS-2210-11/12 some of your typical work assignments may include:
Supports the middleware infrastructure for a multi-tier application environment.
Recommends architecture improvements to maximize availability.
Monitors the DMDC enterprise web environment for errors and takes corrective action based upon alerts.
Documents standard operating procedures (SOP) for the building, configuration management, and incident response as necessary to support the web infrastructure.
Ensure the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the delivery of application software services.
Developing, adapting, and implementing new applications development methods and models that incorporate new technologies, such as object oriented design and analysis and software architecture; researching emerging technologies; planning, developing, and organizing pilot tests in controlled environments; and recommending adoption of new methodologies based on favorable feasibility analyses.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Work Schedule: Fulltime
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
- Financial Disclosure: Not Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is telework eligible
- Non-Critical Sensitive - Secret Clearence
You may qualify at the GS-11, if you fulfill the following qualifications: A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service: 1. Skill in applying software principles software life cycles and procedures for structure design, developing, optimizing and integrating new and or reusable systems. 2. Ability to monitor and troubleshoot application issues in a timely manner. 3. Ability to apply the latest computer assisted software design tools to the design, test and development process; OR
B. Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
You may qualify at the GS-12, if you fulfill the following qualifications: A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service: 1. Skill in applying software principles software life cycles and procedures for structure design, developing, optimizing and integrating new and or reusable systems. 2. Ability lead others in monitoring and troubleshooting application issues in a timely manner. 3. Ability lead others in applying the latest computer assisted software design tools to the design, test and development process.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition to meeting qualifications, your application package must reflect the applicable experience to meet the Individual Occupational Requirements for the 2210 series.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) unofficial transcripts are acceptable at time of application, or (2) If you are serviced by the officefilling this position and your transcripts are on file in your official personnel folder, you are not required to submit. However, it is your responsibility to ensure transcripts are on file.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: Foreign Education
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA):To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements: Persons with Disabilities - Schedule A Special Hiring Authority for Veterans Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses Other Special Appointment Authorities Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
**The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision. NOTE: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http://www.sss.gov for more information.
For more information, please visit General Application Information and Definitions.
Other Notes: Re-employed Annuitant: This position Does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).**
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Application Software
- Software Testing and Evaluation
- Strategic Communication
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible
- Other supporting documents
- Cover Letter, (optional)
- College transcript(s), if qualifying based on education. We accept unofficial transcripts, as long as they contain the applicant's name, the name of the school, the date and degree that was awarded, and the list of classes and credits earned. Transcripts must be received in this office by 11:59PM EST on 05/21/2018 in order to be considered
- Most recent SF-50 or equivalent notification of personnel action showing you are in a position eligible under an Interchange Agreement.
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, (if applicable)
- DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Non-competitive appointment authority documentation (if applicable)
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.) PLEASE REVIEW the following LINK for additional documents you need to provide: Supporting Documents
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To preview the questionnaire, please go to https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10204892.
Agency contact information
DHRA Servicing Team
Defense Manpower Data Center Human Resources Directorate 4800 Mark Center Drive Alexandria, VA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated. You will receive another notification about the status of your application.
A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498927100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/07/2018 to 05/21/2018
Salary: $68,036 to $115,157 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11 - 12
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent